Earlier, the cell phones used to be the property of elder people. And kids used to borrow the phone for playing games and making calls.
But now as the phones have started becoming more and more common, their accessibility has also been spread.
And now you can see almost all teenagers holding a smartphone.
Though it’s not bad for teens to own a smartphone, its wrong use can be disastrous. They might learn and see the things that they should not have access to, at this sensitive age.
If you’re thinking about the sexual content here, then yes, you’re absolutely right.
But it isn’t the only inappropriate content that the internet holds. The exposure to religious and political hatred can also leave a profound negative effect on the mind of the child.
Similar is the case when teens get exposure to the stuff related to drugs and guns, etc.
Instead of snatching away their phones, it’s better to eliminate those things from appearing on their device. And it’s really easy to do so.
All you need to do is follow these simple tricks and the Android device of your kid will become absolutely healthy for use.
Blocking Adult Content On Child’s Android Device
Securing The Play Store
There are zillions of apps on the Play Store and it’s an inbuilt part of all the Android devices. Moreover, it’s not possible to use the Android device without installing the apps from the Play Store.
So it’s really necessary that the Play Store is always healthy and ready to use for the child. And any kind of explicit app never ever pops up while the teen is using the Play Store.
All you need to do is alter the Play Store settings a little bit and boom!! the Play Store is all set for the kid to use.
To change the Play Store settings, follow these simple steps.
1. Open the Play Store app on the child’s Android phone and tap on the Hamburger icon at the top-left side.
2. After that, tap on the Settings option from the list.
3. Tap on the Parental controls option that is available under the User controls heading.
4. In the next step, toggle on the Parental controls are off option.
5. A pin generating message will pop-up as soon as you toggle on the button. Now set the security pin so that the child is not able to undo the settings. Tap on OK after that.
6. Now you have to set the restrictions according to the age of the child and once done, tap on Save. (Most restrictive being Rated for 3+ and the least restrictive being Rated for 18+.)
7. Similarly set the parental controls for Movies and Music too.
As all the apps with adult or inappropriate content are now blocked you can allow your child to use the phone without panicking over the existence of adult apps.
Securing The Google App
The use of a smartphone and the internet is one and the same thing. The reason is that the usefulness of the cellphone completely depends on whether it is connected to the internet or not.
If the kid uses the Google app for surfing then making it childproof is not a bad idea.
1. Open the Google app on the teen’s device and tap on the More option available at the bottom right side.
2. Tap on the Settings option after that.
3. On the next page, tap on the General option.
4. Now simply toggle on the SafeSearch button.
All the images, videos, and sites with bad taste will stop appearing from now on. The bad thing about SafeSearch on Google is that it’s not 100% accurate. It filters the content only to a particular extent.
Securing The Chrome App
Chrome is the most used browser worldwide. Keeping this in mind, it becomes necessary to secure the Chrome app too. So, let’s see how to do it.
1. Open the Chrome app on the device and search google.com/preferences using the search bar.
2. A Search Settings page will open on the chrome now.
3. Under the SafeSearch Filters option, choose Filter explicit results option and tap on Save option available at the last.
Now the child can use the internet and you don’t need to worry that what all they see on the internet.
Blocking Inappropriate Websites With Monitoring Apps
Now let’s discuss the best way through which the parents can block the wrong content on Android phones and provide a safe environment to the kids on the internet.
Turning on the security on the browsers is good, but they do not provide accurate results.
So in order to curb out all the possible threats from the Android phones, you have to make use of the monitoring apps.
What makes the monitoring apps stand out of crowd is that unlike the tips mentioned above, these apps don’t require the physical access of the device after they are set up.
Parents can block and unblock the apps and websites remotely while the child is out somewhere. And these apps will also provide you with the list of websites that kid is surfing.
Spying apps like Qustodio will give all the details from the target phone without taking much pain. Be it the sensual content downloaded from the internet or found on social media, you won’t face any problem detecting it.
Every possible category that can be harmful to the mental health of the child can be blocked. If you find your child opening any inappropriate site, just provide its URL to Qustodio and block it right away.
YouTube also has an abundance of adult content on its server. Qustodio detects all the videos the child is opening and present them in front of you.
Basically it’s an overall solution to all the problems and threats related to the teen’s Android device.
It’s really good that you care about your child and want them to be safe from the harshness of the cellphones and the internet.
But just getting concerned won’t do any good. You need to take some measures in order to safeguard your kids from all the adult content on the internet.
The given tips and tricks will keep the kids safe from sensual content but when it comes to the spying app, they give you some advance control and guarantee the safety of your kids.
So if you too think that the security of the kids always needs to be the first priority, just get yourself a good spying app for Android.